“Do the work. Do the analysis. But feel your run. Feel your race. Feel the joy that is running.”
The clock is ticking…….Is it me, or does Spring seem to be flying by??!? I love spending Memorial Day weekend with family and friends at the Pinelands Trail Festival, so pumped that this weekend is right around the corner! It’s such a great race, endless distances from a 1k kids race to a 50 miler. The vibe in Maine is relaxed and it’s always a treat for this Vermont girl to see the ocean on the way up on our drive. This race will be a great warm up for VT100 coming up in July. It’ll be a family affair, the boys are running the 25k and hubs and I will both be running the 50…….I’m sure we’ll see the boys out on trail…..They’ll do one lap, and we’ll do three, so chances are they will pass us! Can’t wait to meet some new peeps and hang out with my precious dear friends…..Happy Tapering everyone!!! Can’t wait to see you all!!!
The past three weeks have been HUGE for me in the mileage department. I’ve logged 122.4 miles with an elevation gain of 19,402 feet thus far in the month of May!!! Including two Mt. Ascutney climbs (getting myself ready for those relentless long hills of VT, remember the ones with scary names?!?!!) I’ve been adamant about having my training elevation mimic that of the VT100. Granted, most of my training loops are crazy hilly, so it’s not that difficult to achieve that. Last week it was in the upper 80’s, low 90’s and my 19 miler kicked my bootie!!! I’m focusing on eating smaller portions more frequently during longer runs. I really have to get more heat training runs in, I’m waiting on Mother Nature tho. This weekend actually looks picure perfect, 62 and partly cloudy, let’s hope the rain holds off…..
I hope your May training is going well……..I’ve had a few rest days. Trying to preserve my legs and be careful of injuries……My shins were definitely sore after my last hike up and down Ascutney……feels good to rest the bones……..lots of hot baths filled with epsom salts and lavender….I kinda like tapering…….
Soon, packing will begin…….
- Fun happy clothes….InkNburn of course! Now which outfit….hmmmmm
- Hydration Tailwind Check!
- Bars Simple Squares….. I will have extra if anyone at Pinelands would like to try some!! Come see me!!
- Socks Only Injinji…..knock on wood no blisters…however the compression didn’t end up working for me. My calves locked up in the first mile of a 22 miler I did….Luckily hubs came to the rescue and brought me my shorter socks…….not sure why my legs disagreed with compression. As soon as I switched, all was right in leg land…
- My running supply drawers I made for races…….holds everything from Lube, tampons, bobby pins, rolaids, tums, pens, bandaids…..you name it, it’s in there. Also works great at home, I always know where things are……
And please, please, please turn on the Charity Miles app…..I’ve logged 429.28 miles in 2017, which is $107.32 for the charities of my choosing……..Every Mile Matters……..
I’ll let you know how the 50 goes! It’ll be a great test to iron out any kinks before VT……I’m a little nervous. My only other two 50’s were at the VT50….home turf… Of course, it’s a kick ass hilly one, so I’m hoping this one will be a tad easier…..but who am I kidding, 50 miles is 50 miles!!!!!!! Thanks for following my running journey………..
Happy Trails, & see ya at Pinelands!
2 thoughts on “Five days till the 50!! Yippee Skippy!”
Wow!! 50!! That is beyond amazing. Good luck!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much!!!! Super excited!!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person